Wednesday, April 10, 2019

26A – Celebrating Failure

1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed

  • During this past semester, I failed at time management. I am taking one of the hardest core business classes offered at UF, Business Finance. There are three exams, and that is it. The first exam is usually the hardest out of the three, the second is typically the easiest, and then the third is in the middle of the two. Well, at the beginning of the semester, I was all fired up and going to parties and not buckling down like I should have been. I have study edge and they said to do practice problems at least one to two hours a day to be prepared for that exam. Well, I procrastinated and did crammed all the way up until the last few minutes on the exam. I did not do that great, needless to say. Well, I did about average, which is basically an F to D. So I thought I had learned my lesson on time management until the second exam came around, just a few days after we got back from Spring Break. Well, over spring break I went home and worked at my old job as a Hostess. I was scheduled to work every day of break and had no time to actually hard core study. So second exam came and once again I was cramming. I did better and about average but, I could have done better. Now the third exam is next week and I am preparing for it more.
2) Tell us what you learned from it.

  • I learned that no matter what, I need to be on top of my school work and have better time management. I also should not put my social life ahead of my school work to the extent that I am cramming for exams. Even though I do not go out that much, I definitely need to buckle down for my senior year.
3) Reflect

  • I feel like if I truly push myself and discipline myself for the rest of this semester and senior year, I could be very successful. Looking back my freshman and sophomore year, those were the easiest years here at UF, but at the time they did not at all. They felt literally like hell with school work, but now it is even worse and I am pushing myself even harder to not fail. I handled this failure emotionally by saying "it is all gonna be okay in the end, I just need this degree and get out". This class has changed my perspective on failure by saying it is no big deal and everyone tries and fails, at almost everything. 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen, I can really relate to this post. I am also in Business Finance this semester and studying for it is rough, especially with my working 20 hours a week at my job, 10 hours a week at my internship, and being active in two business school organizations. Time management is something I have had to get good at to balance all of this and a social life. Studying weeks prior and doing a little at time has best helped me and I think it showed from me going from an F on the first exam to a C on the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen! I understand the struggles and the pressure that some of these classes pose. I too have struggled with studying throughout the years along with time management and that has been the result of what I consider some of my failures. I think what you got out of it is the most important. I agree that though it is good mentally to have a life outside of school, it is important to focus on what you are here for. Everyone fails it is just a matter of how you come back from your failures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I think its safe for me to say that we have all been where you are at some point in our college careers. We have so much going on in our lives school almost seems like the least important. Also most of us in high school probably did not have to study much. It is something that I have had to teach myself to do. I find that doing practice problems and reading examples helps me the best. I think you will do great in whatever you decide to do. Learning from these failures will only make you more successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristen, I think you made some really good points in this post about your opinion of failure and how you process/handle it. I am taking business finance as well and I must say, it is REALLY HARD. This class tests me on a daily basis, especially with time management, just like you. I had a very busy spring break as well and only did average on the second exam. Classes like this really test our true powers, but learning from our mistakes on the first exam, will set us up for this last one, just like failure in life. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kristen, I think everyone who has taken that class can relate to your post. That has hands done been the toughest course I had to take at UF and was the first time in my life that I ever received a grade that was less than a B. I was Finance before that class, but after taking it I realized I didn’t really want to go into that field if that class was any reflection of what my career would feel like.

    ReplyDelete