Thursday, January 31, 2019

8A - Solving the Problem

In my previous post I had claimed how parking is an issue on campus. One way to solve this issue is to generate an app or some type of garage systems that tells students how many spots are available in various parking garages or parking lots around campus.

One idea my past interviewee suggested is for the app to actually state how many spots are for each decal. Decals are one of the most annoying aspects of trying to find parking after lifted hours. Lifted hours can vary depending on the decal that is assigned to that section of parking spots. For one example, the Norman Garage is split with Red decal and Orange decal. The Red decal lifts at 3:30 while the Orange decal lifts at 4:30. This may seem like no big deal but for those who have friends or family coming to visit or even trying to go to the library and fit your own unique schedule, that hour does mean a lot. For the app to divide which decal has so many spots left in a certain garage or parking lot actually makes the app even more efficient and effective for its targeted users, the students and staff of the University of Florida.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen! I think you have a great initial idea and it seems like it would definitely be something used by all students and facility that drive on campus. The only thing I would say would be hard is actually figuring out how you would be gathering the data and send it out in real time so people know which spots are available and where.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen! Having an app that would allow students to know the availability of parking areas around them prior to leaving their house would be a great idea. Also having knowledge of the decals would be a great addition. I would utilize the app to also enforce when parking is lifting because it can get confusing since many areas lift at different times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristen. Just finished reading your blog on Solving the Problem and thought this app is a great idea. It is so difficult to find a spot-on campus that I don’t even bother to try. I have spent hours driving around try to find a spot and have even missed class because of it. This app would greatly benefit the student population.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I would invest in this app if I could. This is a very good idea and I think every student on campus would use it. I find it so annoying when there are no parking spaces left for a decal area that I have paid for. Having the app would just save time for me driving to the new area to find a spot. The only problem is I won't ever get lucky finding a great spot late in the day because many people will see it before me. This is a minor problem to a greater solution, great job.

    ReplyDelete